Idiot proof

Sunday, May 08, 2005

You say Delta, I say triangle, it's all Greek to me.

I never belonged to anything in college except for the "new freshmans club" which consisted of me, walking around with my head up my ass. J belonged to Kappa Kappa Psi, a band fraternity. I have never really wanted to belong to a sorority, I often felt that the young girls in a sorority were often plastic. Meaning that if you ripped them out of their designer jeans, cutesy shoes and scrubbed off all that makeup you wouldn't recognize who was underneath. I've never been into being one of "those girls". My sister belongs to "the smart nerds club" Honors Student Association I believe it's called. It's for everyone who has kept an average above 3.6. If the B letter is mentioned around my sister she freaks. I won't say anything because I know I will be exactly the same way. Only I'll be the mom with cheerios stuck to her paper and running into class late because I accidently switched backpacks with Mary and didn't realize until I had gotten halfway to class. I am proud of my sister. Proud of her drive and dedication to stay true to her goals. The other day I went in to pick up the kids at extended day and I just watched my sister with those children. She was doing so well, so in her element. I was so proud of her, then I was roped into the room where I ended up playing mad chaos, fruit basket turnover, and my ship goes sailing with all of them. I think a lot of the kids thought that Brenden and Mary had the coolest family. Not only was their aunt super cool, but their mom too! That makes me want to laugh, because I tend to be a big kid myself. It keeps me young. I love to bounce out on the trampoline, or race bubba on the bike, or take them to the park and play. I worry a lot about being the best mom I can be for my kids. I know that they are fragile and that they are the biggest blessing I have ever received. Trying to find that balance between being the "bad guy" and being the mom is difficult at times. My children make me proud, I hope that I can make them proud too. Today is Mother's Day. I hope my mother realizes how grateful I am to have her. She has done a lot for me in the years and I think we have finally found a neutral ground that we can both stand on and respect each other. She is the friend to me that will always be there. She is the lady who nagged my ass until I wanted to scream, and the woman I assured myself I would NEVER be like, yet I am in so many ways. I am thankful she is in my life. So everyone, give your moms a hug.

There is a beautiful morning in my window. I think I will go put on some coffee for my parents, and hopefully if I'm lucky there will still be some Irish Cream in there to toss in mine. That's pretty much the only way I can drink coffee, is if it's really cold outside or it's got sugar and cream. Oh, and hot chocolate in coffee is excellent. This is a little trick I showed Jay. Take a packet of hot chocolate mix and stir it in with coffee. Yum. This makes me think of the mad TV skit with Lorraine at Starbucks. Hilarious.

4 Comments:

  • Agreed, moms are awesome!! I was lucky to have two very wonderful women to help me along my very awkward childhood, when one left this Earth, other one took up where she left off. I hope no child has to go through that, but it is a sad truth in life.
    But enough about meloncholy melodrama...
    I want to wish you a VERY Happy Mother's Day, Bib!! Yes, you are an awesome mom. I knew I was watching a very cool mom when you got on that slide with the kids at my complex, even with all those other people playing basketball. You didn't care what they thought, you were with your kids and that was all that mattered!
    I'm glad that the house is coming along swiftly, and before long you'll have your own place for me to store my massive manga collection.
    Haha!! Hear that? I'm going to take up all your space with my nerd books! Meehee... ;-)

    By Blogger Jay, at 10:28 PM  

  • haha! hear that??? YOU are going to allow me to be in possession of your manga collection!!! Who knows WHAT I may to with it! Hmmm, can anyone say Ebay? Garage sale? You have an extra room in Owasso just itching to be filled to the brim with your toys; and you say your dad is bad, look in the mirror buddy. Notice anything familiar? ;) Thanks though, you are a truly great friend, ya know that?

    By Blogger bib, at 11:02 PM  

  • and who cares what a bunch of strangers think about a grown woman on a slide? It was FUN.

    By Blogger bib, at 11:03 PM  

  • Excatly. You were having fun with your kids and it didn't matter one bit who was watching you or if they mattered or not. I think the best moms are the ones that know how to cut loose, can show their kids that it's ok to be a kid, even when you're an adult.

    By Blogger Jay, at 7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home