Idiot proof

Tuesday, September 13, 2005

One of these days I'm going to break these chains

Brenden and I are sitting at the kitchen table. "Spell about" I tell him. "A-B-O-U-T" he chants and gives me a big grin. I praise him and we go on to the remainder of his spelling words. My boy has no idea how much I love him. How I want the best for him, how I want to give him all the good things in life. He only knows I make him wear a patch, write his spelling words, make him clean his room, and check his math. "Tommorrow is picture day mom." He says. "Are you going to buy pictures for us?" I told him I didn't know. I do know. I will not. Pictures are so expensive. I haven't been able to buy them for the past two school years. Little things like this make me so angry. I know, it's just school pictures. It's just the weekly reader. It's just a certain kind of bath shampoo. It's just soccer or karate lessons. Nothing big. Nothing they can't do without. I know this. I know they aren't going to die without these things. What pisses me off is that I can't GIVE them these things. I can't buy them the little things. I can't just say ok, pick out whatever smelly good shampoo you want, or girlie earrings. This pisses me off. I don't mind going without myself, I just hate it for my kids. This is what I use everyday that I don't want to get up. It is also what I use every night I have to work. It is what I use when I think I want to scream from the exhaustion of it all. This is my fuel. My desire. I desire to be able to give my kids the little things. I desire to be able to get up and put on a white uniform and go to work knowing that I earned it. Every day I spend in class and every night I read until my eyes are tired and spasming is one day closer to taking my final test. I will be able to give my kids the little things. I will be able to buy them a car when they are 16 and I will be able to send them to college. I will be able to help them when they need me. This is why I keep going everyday. I don't want to NEED anyone to help me. I fucking hate needing help from anyone else. I refuse to stay in a position where I have to ask anyone for help. I will get off my soapbox for now. I had planned on writing something much lighter, but this is what came out. I don't want to seem down, because I am not down, just determined. I have a goal to reach and I plan on reaching it.

6 Comments:

  • josh... thank you for your kindness... and you KNOW I hate it when you call me kiddo. You are only six months older than me for petes sake! Dorkchop.

    By Blogger bib, at 8:52 PM  

  • superdork is better than kiddo. Don't make me get the icy hot.

    LOL

    By Blogger bib, at 9:47 PM  

  • In your dreams Joshie Washie, In your dreams... just like the cheerleading outfit. Is it Joshie Washie or is it... adorkable??? LOL I crack myself up.

    By Blogger bib, at 10:31 PM  

  • Bren and Mar-Bear are good kids. They have a good mom who wants to do her best for them. They have that now and although they may not realize it, they will learn it someday.

    By Blogger Jay, at 10:32 PM  

  • Thank you Jay. I try, I really do. I am sure one day they will see that.

    By Blogger bib, at 10:33 PM  

  • nope, I'm not hatin' on Sam's terms at all. It's fitting.

    By Blogger bib, at 11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home