Idiot proof

Thursday, May 26, 2005

I can't find any concrete shoes, and my heart has floated away

I got my acceptance letter today. It's official. I'm accepted and expected in the fall class. I am just ecstatic about this news. I had been hoping and although confident I didn't want to get my hopes up to high.

Brenden made me so proud today. I took them out for lunch and he actually ran in front of me to open the door for me. He filled our drink and told our server thank you several times. He was such a little gentleman and so grown up that I was just filled with pride for my little man. He is such a good boy. He really tries hard and makes me so proud. We were talking today and it's hard to believe that my boy is getting so big. While we were sitting at our table discussing the assination of President Lincoln it hit me. My son is growing up. Although this immediately brought back a conversation that I had yesterday over dinner, I pushed THAT out of my mind and focused more on my boys bright smile, and easy going attitude.

How many of you remember the smell of summer? The smell that kids have? The mixture of sweat, dirt, candy, Koolaid, and hours and hours of sun. My daughter is sitting next to me and she smells like summer. She needs a bath.

I have also found that the best art I've ever seen is in the Smithsonian. I went to the Art Museum at OU yesterday and we discovered that neither of us really liked all the abstract, artsy fartsy stuff. I am more into art with detail involved. Detail and skill. Don't throw dots onto a canvas and call it art. That's not art. Painting a countryside scenery down to the very last detail is art. Although I think the jury is still out of what exactly that small oblong piece of wood actually was in that painting. ;)


I've been told many many MANY times that just as I start getting close to someone I put up a wall and block them out. Just when someone is starting to know me well, starting to know how I feel, I tend to shut them out. I know I do this to a point. I know it's a defense mechanicism. I don't want rejection, and to be hurt, so I just put up a wall to protect myself. I caught myself doing that this morning. At the time I couldn't say what was on my mind. I just put it off and said nothing. While I am still terrified of what repercussions my words and thoughts might have I have decided that I will not put up my wall. I will just say what I have to say, and if I'm hurt, then, well, it won't be the first time. I just hope I don't lose my nerve. Hopefully I'm finished with masonry. Hopefully I'm finished with the wall business for good.

I bought some steaks and I think I'm going to go fire up the grill. Steaks, salad, and potatoes. Sound good?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home